14 May 2017

Book Review: Then. Now. Always by Isabelle Broom

"Hannah can't believe it when she's offered a trip to sunny Spain with her best friend and dreamy boss . . . what's the catch?

Twenty-eight year old Hannah is ready for an adventure. She and her colleagues are in Spain for a month to film a documentary, and it's a dream come true. Not least because Hannah will get to spend long summer days with Theo, her boss (and crush). If only Tom (Hannah's best friend and cameramen) and Claudette (the presenter) would stop getting in the way...

Then things become even more complicated when Nancy, Hannah's half-sister arrives. What on earth is she doing here?

For once in her life, can't Hannah just have one perfect summer, free of any drama?"

Rating: 4/5

I have been lucky enough to read several of Isabelle Broom's novels in the past few years, and whenever I receive them to review, they shoot to the top of my 'to be read' list because I enjoy them so much! I love the fact that her novels are always travel based, set in a far away clime for the reader to escape to when they are reading, and a fantastic cast of characters to boot. As usual, the cover for her new book was stunning, and I couldn't wait to read this one too.

This time, the book is set in Spain, in a small called Mojacar. It isn't somewhere I have heard of personally but when I finished the book, I googled the town and it looks truly stunning, I can see why Broom chose to set the book here! This time, we follow a small group of characters who are on a work trip, making a documentary about the people and beliefs of Mojacar. It's Hannah's first work trip, and she is so excited to finally be alongside the boss she's coveted from afar for a long time, called Theo. Also along are Hannah's best mate Tom, and Claudette, the presenter. But when Hannah's half sister shows up unexpectedly, she's worried the rest of the trip will be a disaster, and doesn't know how to communicate with her. Will Hannah be able to salvage her holiday/work trip before it's ruined?

I have to say the setting of the book is perfect for the story. I chose to not google it for a reason while I was reading - I wanted to use Broom's descriptions to set the scene in my head for me. I am so pleased I did because I found they were so well-written, so evocative and description that it was easy to imagine the small town, the beach, the fountains in my head for myself, and they sounded wonderful. The descriptions of Hannah's job, her research for the documentary, the slightly technical details within the book set the scenes up nicely, and I enjoyed reading it all pull together.

The characters in the book were good too, but I didn't connect with Hannah in the same way that I have done with Broom's previous leading ladies. I don't know why that is, but it didn't spoil the enjoyment of the book for me in any way. I didn't especially like Hannah's crush, I found it a little bit childish, but that was just me, I just didn't particularly like that story arc. I far preferred reading about the genuine friendship between Hannah and Tom, they were great to read about and such real friends. Claudette was quite amusing too in her own way, but the way Hannah's half-sister is introduced and the clear animosity between the pair was surprising, and I was keen to read on and find out why there was such hatred there.

This was a fun read, set in a stunning place that I would most certainly like to visit now I have read about it, it sounds very idyllic. The characters were fun, with lots going on between them to keep you interested from surprising relationships, past histories being thrown up and a little family animosity to boot. Isabelle Broom's writing was, as always, a joy to read and beautifully described the small Spanish town. This was a very enjoyable summer read, perfect to escape into, and to devour in a few sittings! Looking forward to more from this talented author.

No comments:

Post a Comment