4 July 2015

eBook Review: Green Beans and Summer Dreams by Catherine Ferguson

"You can bury a lot of troubles by digging in a garden…

When Izzy Fraser’s long-term boyfriend walks out on her, she finds herself in a bit of a pickle. Whilst she may have the house of her dreams, she’s now left with a crippling mortgage that she has to pay on her own.

It’s time for her to take matters into her own hands and, having always been a keen gardener, she realises she can put her skills to use. She decides to set up Izzy’s Organics, delivering crates of fresh fruit and vegetables to the local villagers.

Along the way she meets all sorts of characters, including the very handsome Erik and the very Grumpy Dan. But can Izzy sort the wheat from the chaff? And will her new business be the change to her life that she needs?"

Rating: 4/5

You can buy Green Beans and Summer Dreams as an eBook now.

Another eBook which has caught my eye this summer is the new release from author Catherine Ferguson. I first came across Catherine's writing when I read her first novel, a festive release called Humbugs and Heartstrings. I did enjoy it, and therefore was looking forward to reading more from the author. The cover for this new eBook is certainly very eye-catching, with its bright yellow and green cover, and although I'm not a big fan of gardening myself, I was looking forward to getting stuck into reading this one.

Straight away, I want to say this is a fun, light-hearted read that is perfect for sitting in the garden with it on your Kindle, and a nice cool drink by your side for your reading time. I'll be honest and say that when I began reading it, it seemed very similar to another book I've read recently, which was 'Ivy Lane' by Cathy Bramley. However, as I read further, the two stories became more different, although of course the shared theme of gardening was present throughout. It actually seems to be a very popular theme this summer in fiction, so Catherine Ferguson is right on point with this one.

The leading lady of this book was Izzy. She's heart-broken at the moment, having been unceremoniously dumped by her awful boyfriend, and is determined to keep the cottage that the pair shared now that he has moved out. The only trouble is affording to pay the mortgage. She decides that she can start a business of her own, delivering fresh fruit and veg to her neighbours and charging them for the privilege. As things pick up, and she starts to form new friendships with the villagers, Izzy starts to feel somewhat calmer and more at home. But between her new male friends Erik and Dan, will Izzy be able to keep her business on track, and keep matters of the heart out of it?!

I really liked reading about Izzy getting her life back on track. While she was of course upset and in despair for part of the book, the rest of it was dedicated to her getting back on her feet, and making a success of her new business, albeit with a little help from her friends. While the friendships with Erik and Dan were a major part of the book, the main focus was definitely on Izzy's love of gardening and her new business, and I enjoyed reading about the growth of the business, how she worked hard for her success and the events she did to promote her business too. I liked Izzy a lot, she was fun to read about, and I really did root for her, wanting everything to be a success.

The men in the book were very different. There was Erik, good-looking but boy did he know it. I didn't warm to him at all, sure there was something he was hiding, and of course I was right. I was willing Izzy to see through his smarmy charm and not get hurt, but it felt inevitable at times that she would be hurt by him! On the other hand, I loved Grumpy Dan, from the company who supply Izzy with her vegetables. Yes, he seemed bad-tempered, but I felt he had a kind heart, and wanted to help her with her business a lot, and wished Izzy would see past his grumpy face! The two men make the book a bit more interesting, throwing in potential relationships, and allowing Izzy to find some happiness in her life.

The book was a fun read, and certainly perfect as a summer read too. It'll leave you with a big smile on your face having enjoyed a really good story, and it's enjoyable even if you're not a fan of gardening and plants like me! Catherine Ferguson's writing was really easy to read, I quickly got lost in the story, and looked forward to picking up my Kindle each night and reading a bit more of Izzy's tale. A fabulously sunny summer read, and one I would definitely recommend!

No comments:

Post a Comment