3 October 2014

eBook Review: Love, Lies and Lemon Cake by Sue Watson

"Faye Dobson has lost her sparkle. Living on film star fantasies and vague memories of a marriage that once was, she can’t help feeling that life is passing her by. She dreams of being whisked to Paris for dinner, making three wishes at the Trevi fountain and having sex under the stars. But the wrinkles are multiplying, her husband’s passion is for plumbing, and the nearest she’ll get to Rome is a take-away pizza. 

So when Faye meets Dan the gorgeous Australian surfer guy working in the local deli she can’t help but wonder what it would be like to see the world. He is blonde, tanned, ten years younger and bakes the most amazing lemon cake. Unlike her husband Dan actually listens to Faye, his smile makes her feel fizzy inside, and when he smiles... Oh. My. God. 

But is Faye being silly? What would Dan see in someone like her? Even if he did have feelings for her, could she give up everything to be with him? "

Rating: 5/5

You can buy Love, Lies and Lemon Cake as an eBook or a paperback now.

I have had Sue Watson's latest book Love, Lies and Lemon Cake sitting on my kindle for a good few months now. I really had no idea what to read next a few days ago, and decided that it sounded like my sort of read. I eagerly began, hoping it would be a read that I could lose myself in and enjoy. Luckily, Sue Watson has definitely delivered a superb novel here and now I can't wait to read more from this author, she's brilliant!

The book is about Faye Dobson, who is unhappily married to her husband, and is sure she can't go on being miserable in her marriage. Her daughter Emma has gone away to University, and now Faye knows it is the time to break away from her dull life, and find something better for herself. She moves in with her friend and boss at the hairdressers where she works, and sets about bettering herself at last. She meets Australian surfer Dan at the local deli where she goes to collect her lunch, and she is sure there's a spark between the two of them, despite the fact he's 10 years younger than her. Will Faye be able to see past the age gap and allow herself to be happy with Dan?

I love it when I can rave about a book, and that's exactly what I am going to do with this book. Right from the first few pages, I loved this book and found it so easy to read. I loved the main character of Faye from the start, miserable from being stuck in a loveless marriage, and I really did want her to find some happiness and the man she deserves to have. Yes, it's sad her marriage broke down, but you can see how truly happy she is once she moves away from it and I loved that for her. I also loved how she found a new side to herself when her friendship grew with Dan, she was so insecure about their friendship and it was sweet reading Dan try to bring Faye out of herself a bit more. Dan was a fantastic character too, you could see why Faye warmed to him so quickly.

I loved the different settings for this book as well. A part of the book is set at the hairdressers where Faye works, with her boss Sue that she eventually moves in with after she leaves her husband. Through this part of the book, we also meet Mandy, one of the other hairdressers at the salon and her sad backstory, and I liked how this was approached in the book and how it fitted in with the other stories, but there is a bit of a lighter side to her as well which had me laughing out loud! There was also a lot of story set at the deli were Dan works, and the descriptions of all the amazing food there were so mouth-watering! You could see why Faye kept going back agian and again, both the food and the company sounded pretty amazing!

This was a fantastic read, and I honestly loved everything about it. Sue Watson's is so fantastic to read, I could completely lose myself in the novel and felt absorbed by Faye's story. I liked the fact the story is based around an older woman finding a new happiness for herself after the death of her marriage, and it's not like any other book I have read before either. This book is laugh-out-loud funny, poor old Faye manages to get herself into a few funny situations, but I loved that she often saw the bright side in it all too! The book certainly lives up to its title as well, with lots of love, lies and lemon cake making an appearance in the book! This is a fantastic feel-good read, I loved it and would whole-heartedly recommend it. Brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment